Today's Top SOA Links
From the Wires
Research and Markets: Switzerland B2C E-Commerce Report 2012
By: Business Wire
Dec. 14, 2012 06:27 AM
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/49vcff/switzerland_b2c) has announced the addition of the "Switzerland B2C E-Commerce Report 2012" report to their offering.
Slow but Steady Growth of B2C E-Commerce in Switzerland
In its recent ""Switzerland B2C E-Commerce Report 2012"", Hamburg-based secondary market research company yStats.com highlights trends and developments in the Swiss B2C E-Commerce market. Besides Internet users, online shoppers, market shares and revenue figures, the report also covers successful product categories and leading players.
In 2011, more than three quarters of the Swiss population aged 14-59 used the Internet on a regular basis, more than half of whom also shopped online. The majority of online retailers were able to increase their revenue in 2011. More and more foreign players are entering the Swiss online market.
B2C E-Commerce and Mobile Shopping Continue to Increase in Revenues
Between 2010 and 2011, B2C E-Commerce revenues grew by a low double digit percentage figure. In 2012, B2C E-Commerce is expected to account for 10% of all retail revenue, which is far more than in Italy, but less than in Great Britain. The total number of Internet users in Switzerland is increasing slowly but steadily as is their share on the entire population. However, the growth rate is not very high. The growing popularity of mobile shopping is helping to increase revenues in Switzerland.
Mobile Internet websites are becoming increasingly popular compared to apps. In 2012, competition from foreign business increased in the Swiss online market. It is especially attractive to German B2C E-Commerce players, due to the low language barrier. Approximately four fifths of all Swiss online shops were able to increase their revenues in 2011. The most frequently purchased online products were from the categories ""travel and hotels"", ""books and magazines"", ""fashion"", and ""digital media"". Customer service has improved: more than two thirds of online retailers offer at least three payment methods.
Ricardo.ch's Popularity is Soaring
In Switzerland, auction site Ricardo.ch and consumer electronics retailer Digitec.ch generated particularly high revenues in 2011. Ricardo was also the most popular website among customers in Switzerland, followed by Amazon. Furthermore, air-ticket website Swiss.com and train-ticket-shop Sbb.ch were the leading travel online shops. Additional successful online shops in Switzerland are coffee seller Nespresso.ch and online supermarket LeShop.ch.
As shown by market research company yStats.com in its ""Switzerland B2C E-Commerce Report 2012"", both the number of Internet users and especially the significance of mobile B2C E-Commerce will continue to grow strongly in Switzerland.
- In Switzerland, foreign competition within B2C E-Commerce increased in 2012. As a result, local B2C E-Commerce businesses have to face an increased competitive environment.
- In Switzerland, B2C E-Commerce sales increased by a low double-digit percentage figure in 2011, compared to 2010.
- In Switzerland, Travel & Hotel and Books & Magazines were the most purchased online product categories by individuals in January 2012, followed by Clothing and Digital Media.
- Swiss.com and Ricardo.ch were the online shops with the highest online sales in Switzerland in 2011, followed by Digitec.ch and Sbb.ch. Moreover, Ricardo and Amazon were the most popular online shops in Switzerland in 2011.
- Online supermarket LeShop.ch is another leading player on the Swiss B2C E-Commerce market. In October 2012, the company opened its first drive-in station, where online shoppers can pick up the items they ordered online.
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/49vcff/switzerland_b2c
Subscribe to the World's Most Powerful Newsletters
Subscribe to Our Rss Feeds & Get Your SYS-CON News Live!
SYS-CON Featured Whitepapers
Most Read This Week